Sunday 10 May 2015

"He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again." Happy Mother's Day!

My mom gave me this card for my birthday in 2004.
It has been on our fridge ever since.
It was like a 'take' from the old sitcom "Three's Company" except that my Mom had the role of Jack Tripper, (which was played by John Ritter, a physical comedy genius). Imagine: a class of 21 grade school kids and a few chaperones, including my Mom, at Tigchelaar's Berry Farm for a class trip sometime in the '70's. (Remember those field trips? Go to a farmer's field, run through a berry patch, and if there was a horse available, go for a ride!) Well, that was the case at Tigchelaar's and we each got to take a ride on their horse. So, when it was my Mom's turn she put one foot into the stirrup, and with youthful exuberance and the agility of a young teenager she swung the other leg over the horse's back and her momentum catapulted her over the horse and she landed 'gracefully' on her butt beside the horse!! And, in her characteristic 'nothing's going to stop me' unflappable fashion, she promptly stood up, dusted herself off, and climbed back on - only this time with success.

That is my Mom. Resilient. Fun loving. Adventuresome. Encourager. Faithful. Mom (x6). Grandmother (x17). Great Grandmother (x2).

I've never known my Mom to complain about the litany of physical ailments she's endured that already started when she was a young girl in her native Holland. Multiple doctors' visits, seemingly endless medications (which makes one thankful for drug benefit programs!), therapy sessions, and good ole' fashioned 'what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger' willpower have all been hallmarks of her nearly 8 decades of life.

Mom's note in the card to me.
But, the cornerstone - the anchor - that I've witnessed giving her the strength to continue is her faith in Jesus, her Saviour, and healer. I've often wondered and have been troubled why some of God's children are given what seems to be greater burdens to bear than others - as is true, I think, with my Mom. A possible answer that provides some peace is in the poetry of Annie Johnson Flint. Flint, whose degree of suffering makes one contemplate the mystery of pain and suffering, often captured the essence of God's grace during times of suffering through her prolific hymn-writing and poetry. One of Flint's more well-known poems is "He Giveth More Grace".

He Giveth More Grace
He giveth more grace as our burdens grow greater,
He sendeth more strength as our labors increase;
To added afflictions He addeth His mercy,
To multiplied trials He multiplies peace.
 
When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources
Our Father’s full giving is only begun.

Fear not that thy need shall exceed His provision,
Our God ever yearns His resources to share;
Lean hard on the arm everlasting, availing;
The Father both thee and thy load will upbear.

His love has no limits, His grace has no measure,
His power no boundary known unto men;
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again.

One day, it will all be made clear. Thanks Mom. Happy Mother's Day. Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Of auto correct and the smaller things in life

There are moments when you can't help but just laugh. Take the time when my wife, Wendi, texted me and asked where I was. Apparently...