Sunday 3 May 2015

What's a flower grower to do on a warm, sunny Sunday in May?

Ah...Sunday. A fine May day - the sun's out, 24C, slight breeze, fields are dry, no chance of rain, my neighbor's on his tractor planting his field with a mystery crop, and, oh - did I mention it is Sunday? For some people Sunday is the bookend to a two day party; for others it's a day no different than, say, a Wednesday. For the self-declared, 'chosen' few Sunday is when you practice abstinence from a plethora of activity lest you provoke clergical (and/or parental) wrath; for others Sunday is a day reserved for 'going to church' to worship and rest. For me I like the 'worship' part to a Sunday..it's the 'rest' part I'm still learning to do! And, by rest, I don't mean napping because, according to my family, I don't have any issue with that!

Let's just say I wasn't a huge fan of Sunday when I was growing up. I'm not saying that I had as many restrictions as others I knew had, but we had our fair share. There were lots of things we couldn't do and a few things we could. Fortunately, riding our bikes, swimming, wearing shorts, and reading were on the list of acceptable activities. Going to stores (although few were open), buying gas, cutting the grass, playing league sports were all frowned upon. As a kid, it was all explained under the massive "Keep the Sabbath holy" umbrella. And, as I recall, that umbrella was shaped like a big stick!

I'm thankful that what I didn't see as a hassled teenager I see now. The umbrella that looked like a big stick when I was a teenager looks more like the shape of the cross now. In response to God's love for us and out of thankfulness to him we strive to live our lives in accordance to God's will.

Two things came home to me this morning about living in obedience and in response to God. The first thing was I mentioned to a friend that it was hard for me to 'sit on my hands' and not plant my fields on such a beautiful spring day. She said she understood, but told me that her father's (who was farmer) testimony was "even if his neighbor was planting his crop on Sunday, and he waited until Monday the crops were ready at the same time". That's a testimony to believing in God's faithfulness!

And the second was the song "When it's all said and done" by Robin Mark:

When it's all been said and done
There is just one thing that matters
Did I do my best to live for truth?
Did I live my life for you?

When it's all been said and done
All my treasures will mean nothing
Only what I have done
For love's rewards
Will stand the test of time

Lord, your mercy is so great
That you look beyond our weakness
That you found purest gold in miry clay
Turning sinners into saints

I will always sing your praise
Here on earth and in heaven after
For you've joined me at my true home
When it's all been said and done
You're my life when life is gone.


I don't know my friend's dad. But, from a few stories I've heard I get the sense that he lived his life in complete response to Jesus' sacrifice for him. He lived his life for Jesus...and that meant his tractor would have to wait until Monday. And, so will mine.           

No comments:

Post a Comment

Of auto correct and the smaller things in life

There are moments when you can't help but just laugh. Take the time when my wife, Wendi, texted me and asked where I was. Apparently...